Quick Facts About Galvanized Pipes
January 29, 2014 in Pipe by Tim Walshauser
For most projects, you want to use materials that will last, because pipes that fail create headaches and added expense.
In certain situations and environments, steel pipes and fittings quickly begin to rust. And once they begin to rust, failure isn’t very far behind.
In those conditions, galvanized steel pipe may be your solution. Galvanized pipes are coated in a layer of zinc, making them resistant to rust and corrosion. Here are some basic facts about galvanized pipe that will help you decide whether it’s right for your next project:
- The galvanization process involves hot-dipping a steel, iron or aluminum product in zinc, which completely coats the metal in zinc. Once the materials are in use, rusting will still occur, but the zinc layer will rust before the material underneath. This means that galvanized steel pipes remain usable for much longer.
- Although galvanized pipe can be used outdoors, it’s typically used for indoor projects.
- Galvanized pipe is designed to carry liquids, like water, but is not typically a component in gas supply lines.
- In extremely corrosive environments, galvanized steel pipe usually lasts between 50 and 100 years. To determine a more precise lifespan for your galvanized pipes, you should think carefully about the environment you’re placing them in and speak with a galvanized pipe distributor about your particular project.
- Although the cost of galvanized pipes will vary depending on your project, over time galvanized pipes are often more cost effective than a typical paint project. Some opt to repaint their pipes to maintain their appearance, but if your pipes are corroding, galvanization is a better solution.
- You can buy an array of different supplies made out of galvanized steel. Because galvanized steel is used in a wide variety of projects, you can find valves, nuts, fittings, bolts, I-beams, H-beams and other materials all made of galvanized steel.
Are you starting a project in a potentially corrosive environment? Do you want pipes with a long life span that will save you money over the long haul? Then galvanized pipes are probably right for you. Get in touch with us to learn more about our offerings and to get a quote. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours.